There are several, topical and oral treatment for hair loss and prevent its advance.
Hair loss can be physiological, such as that which occurs in the fall or post-delivery. Also, it can be pathological, due to chemotherapy or other drugs, such as retinoids or antithyroid.
Abundant and shiny hair improves the appearance and gives a better image. However, many have to fight hair loss, one of the most common and difficult hair problems to treat.
It is possible that it is produced by nutritional deficiencies of vitamins, amino acids, trace elements, or iron; or that the cause is metabolic problems, such as thyroid diseases, or other hormonal problems.
There are other causes of hair loss such as alopecia areata, lupus, ringworm of the scalp, or lichen planus, which are due to localized inflammation.
It is estimated that there are 100,000 strands of hair on the scalp. Of these, it is normal that between 50 and 100 falls each day. However, when the fall exceeds this limit, it is time to start treating it, since it can advance to a greater problem and reach the much-feared baldness.
There are several, topical and oral options to treat hair loss and prevent its advance. Two of such hair treatments for hair loss are minoxidil and finasteride.
This is a vasodilator that is used in both men and women who suffer from hair loss. Its effect is usually seen after three months of treatment. Applying about two ml of product per day shows good result in 30 to 60 % of cases. However, stopping the treatment after 3 months of improved treatment can see some of the benefits disappear.
Despite its benefits, the product has some side effect like temporary hypertrichosis of the cheeks, Itchiness, and dermatitis.
Dizziness, Headaches and Myalgia may also occur in rare cases.
Oral finasteride is only used in men or postmenopausal women since its use in pregnant women or women of childbearing age can pose a risk to the fetus.
It is a drug that has been used by millions of patients for more than 20 years.
In this treatment, it would take between three and six months of intake to show improvement. The minimum effective dose is one milligram per day. According to experts, finasteride has been shown to be more effective and safer than minoxidil for hair loss, although not without side effects.
Its side effect includes Decreased libido, and reduction in the volume of ejaculation.
There could also be erectile dysfunction (in about one percent of cases), and painful gynecomastia, a very rare effect that is reversible after stopping treatment.
Natural Hair Treatment for Hair Loss
In some cases, it is not necessary to invest large sums of money in expensive treatments that can take a long time to work. Instead, we can choose to use some natural remedies for hair loss, which, due to their properties, can also help to achieve abundant and silky hair.
For instance, Massages with an essential oil for hair are very suitable to combat hair loss problem. It increase blood flow to the hair follicles and strengthen the roots.
Among the oils that can be used for this purpose, we find coconut, almond, olive, castor, and rosemary oil effective.
- Prepare a mixture of any of the essential oils with rosemary oil to accelerate the results and brings important benefits to the hair.
- Apply a little oil all over the scalp and massage, while applying light pressure with your fingers.
- This treatment should be done once or twice a week.
Hair Treatments For Damaged Hair
Damaged hair can be as a result of excess dyeing, inappropriate shampoos, flat irons, or even sunlight. Hair can deteriorate and damage; two of the most characteristic features of this problem are lack of brightness and dryness. Additionally, this is accompanied by weakness of hair strands and breakages.
On the other hand, as a study published in Journals of Dermatology Practical points out, the deficiency of some nutrients can lead to damage to the hair structure and excessive hair loss problems.
So, before trying any treatment, you must review habits and diet, and try to reduce exposure to those factors that damage the hair. From this, then, we can try some external products to revitalize it.
4 Natural Remedies To Repair Damaged Hair
1. Avocado, honey and egg mask
Avocado is a food rich in essential nutrients. It provides proteins, fatty acids, minerals and antioxidant substances, such as vitamins C and E. For this reason, it is an important ingredient in making a hair mask.
Similarly, honey is a source of proteins and amino acids, vitamins, enzymes, minerals, and other minor components that provide dermatological benefits. Thus, when honey is combined with avocado and egg, it helps to revitalize the hair.
2. Olive oil and mayonnaise
Natural plant-based oils are beneficial products for repairing damaged hair. Olive oil, in particular, contains healthy fats that help moisturize and seal hair cuticles.
For a more proactive action, we combine it with mayonnaise and egg to obtain a more complete home treatment. You can use it twice a week for best results.
3. Egg yolk and olive oil mask
An egg yolk and olive oil mask can be helpful if you don’t have conditioner on hand. In addition to hydrating dry hair, its application reduces those lumps that occur on our scalp when styling our hair.
4. Castor oil and soybean oil
Castor oil is common among hair home remedies, not only because it helps make it easy to manage again, but because it strengthens it and decreases breakage.
Managing Chemically Damaged Hair
The benefits of quick treatment for chemically damaged hair include Regeneration of hair and maintaining a more uniform texture. Also, the split ends and breakages are reduced and the density of the cortex is reconstructed. In this way, it gives vitality, resistance, shine, and softness to the hair.
There are natural methods that are great in fixing chemically damaged hair. You can read about them here.
However, there are also products that are good for the treatment of chemically damaged hair. Such a product is the Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo.
Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo for colored or chemically damaged hair.
Among its benefits, we find clean hair and rebalancing of the hair fiber. In this way, they give more strength and endurance to the hair. The Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo heals hair that is weakened by chemicals and heat, including external exposure. Furthermore, it is a coconut-based cleansing formula that is friendly to hair. It is also fortified with quinoa protein to help strengthen hair.
Apply the Shampoo, and lightly massage in slow circles. Cover your head securely in a bath towel, letting the natural warmth of your scalp stimulate the treatment. Afterward, ease into a warm bath and rinse after 5-10 minutes. You will find your hair stronger, silkier, and shinier.
Natural Hair Mask
How to Prepare Avocado, honey and egg hair mask
Avocado is a natural ingredient that is often used for hair problems. It is hydrating and helps to give a shiny and brighter hair.
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons of honey (30 g).
- 1 egg yolk
- First of all, you must mix all the ingredients in a container.
- Make sure that the paste resulting from the mixture is homogeneous.
- Apply the mixture to all hair after shampooing.
- Leave to act for thirty minutes. Then, remove with plenty of cold water.
How to Prepare Olive oil and mayonnaise Hair Mask
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (10 g).
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise (20 g).
- 1 egg (60 g).
- Mix the mayonnaise and oil in a bowl.
- Next, add the egg. Stir well to integrate everything.
- Apply the mixture on clean hair and leave it on for twenty minutes.
- Then remove the mixture with plenty of water.
Egg yolk and olive oil hair mask
- 1 egg (60 g).
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (30 g).
- open the egg by cracking it
- separate the whites from the yolk.
- In a bowl, mix the yolk with the olive oil.
- Wet the hair and apply the mixture.
- Leave to act for at least 20 minutes.
- Then remove the mixture with plenty of water.
Castor oil and soybean oil Mask
- 1 tablespoon of soybean oil (10 g).
- 3 tablespoons of castor oil (30 g).
- Put both ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat and once the oils begin to “cook” remove them from the heat. they should not reach the boiling point.
- Allow to cool slightly at room temperature, and apply to the entire scalp with a gentle massage. The hair should be slightly moistened.
- Wrap your hair in a towel or cap and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Comb hair slowly before removing it with warm water.
Almond oil, honey and egg mask
If you not only have damaged hair but you have split ends, you can resort to this natural mask often to restore health and beauty to your mane. Its ingredients are moisturizing and, in addition, provide softness and shine.
- 3 tablespoon of almond oil (30 g).
- 1 teaspoon of honey (5 g).
- 1 whole egg (60 g).
- Add all the ingredients simultaneously in a bowl with space to stir.
- Mix all the ingredients until they have a homogeneous composition.
- Then apply it to the hair and leave it to act for twenty minutes.
- Then you can rinse by removing the residue with cold water.
Final Thought on Treatment for Hair
In order for our hair to look strong and not break easily, we must ensure that we are well nourished.
Hair treatment for damaged hair takes time; hair treatment or remedies to repair damaged hair do not have an instantaneous effect and must be used regularly. On the other hand, they must be combined with other measures, in order to recover the healthy appearance of the mane. So make sure you eat healthily, drink water, and use the right products.
There are many products that work specifically according to the needs of each hair. For example, those who have curly or excessively thick hair can opt for straightening products.
Its effects will be temporary, but they will solve the problem for the time being. In the same way, people with straight hair can opt for curlers. They also change the structure of the hair to make it look different.